I love eating healthy food but I’m horrible at doing so because I hate cooking. I hate cooking because I’m bad at it and it takes too much time and creates too much mess! So the easier cooking can be for me the better my eating habits. This Sunday morning I finally said hello to Meal Prepping 🙂
I’ve thought about meal prepping a million times before. I’ve even kind of done it a couple times by cooking enough chicken & asparagus to last for 3 days. However, I’ve never full on prepped a whole week of food in one sitting, nor have I done it so healthily or easily!! I couldn’t believe all the food I was able to make with things I already had in my fridge. Long story short, I made 4 different types of meals that I will use for breakfast, lunch and dinner over the next week.
Keep in mind, I’m not a fan of calorie-counting so if you are being strict with your calorie intake, this post won’t disclose that info. Not only am I breastfeeding, I also hate feeling restricted in my eating habits. So what I’ve been doing as of late is working more on quality instead of quantity. Don’t get me wrong, I try to use good discretion by limiting my snacking, eating slowly, drinking lots of water and dishing up reasonable portion sizes (1/2 plate veggies, 1/4 plate healthy carbohydrate, 1/4 plate protein). Also if I eat all my food and still feel hungry, I’ll try to wait 20 minutes and see if that’s still the case. Sometimes it’s not!
Anyway I know myself and I will definitely eat like crap if I don’t have healthy things on hand. When I get hungry, it’s eat or die mode and I start shoving things in my mouth fast, no matter what they are. Luckily I’ve helped that bad habit recently by having apples and almonds on hand. Those are a great, quick go-to snack when I’m feeling famished or to tide me over while I’m waiting for my next meal. However, this week I’m taking things a step further. I realized I spend a lot of my evenings trying to make myself dinner (with a 3 month old on my hip) and I spend a lot of my days, not eating enough or not eating appropriately because I don’t have time to make breakfast or lunch. I always feel like I don’t have enough time in my day to do the things I want, so I’m knocking out cooking dinner, breakfast & lunch with meal prepping it all on Sundays. And I have to thank J+Fitness for inspiring me to get off my lazy a** and give this a try this week! Also the egg bake and apple crockpot dishes are slight modifications of recipes they shared on their page- go check them out!
Here’s what I did today- all with things already in my fridge/freezer!
- Egg, Veggie & Quinoa bake (Breakfast)
- Apple & Oats Crockpot (Breakfast)
- Ground Turkey & Veggie Pasta Sauce (Dinner served over zucchini noodles)
- Ground Turkey, Veggie & Quinoa w/ salsa & taco seasoning (Lunch)
Again, since I don’t like cooking or counting calories, I’ll just be doing a rough share of what I did to make all this.
Egg, Veggie & Quinoa Bake
- 15 whole eggs
- Chopped spinach/kale (2 very large handfuls)
- Onion (~1/2 cup chopped)
- Mushrooms (~1.5 cup chopped)
- 1 cup quinoa (cooked)- I only used ~50-60% of the cooked cup in the end, would have been way to much to use it all and then I had leftover for another dish!
- 2 Tbsp of Flax seeds (or chia)
- garlic powder
- red, yellow, orange peppers (chopped)
- Coconut oil (2 tbsp)
1. Preheat oven to 325-350 (depending on oven, ours gets really hot so I usually do lower than suggested)
1. Warm coconut oil in pain, toss in chopped veggies & saute for a couple min until onion & pepper slightly cooked.
2. Mix cooked quinoa, flax seeds, seasoning, veggies & 15 eggs in a large mixing bowl. (Note: I didn’t separate whites from yolks but did premix eggs alone before I mixed with everything else)
3. Spray 9×13 glass casserole dish with cooking spray (I used Full Circle Organic Olive Oil Cooking Spray)
4. Pour mixture in dish so it’s about 3/4 full. I had a little extra so used to just make myself some breakfast right then 🙂
5. Bake for about 25-35 minutes til center looks cooked.
6. Let cool for ~10 minutes, cut into squares, store and reheat for 20 seconds in microwave! Top with salsa for some added fun 🙂
Apple & Oats Crockpot
- 3-5 apples, chopped
- 2 cups milk (I used Almond Milk)
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 cup oats
- 1 tbsp honey
- handful of chopped almonds
1. Dump everything in the crock pot & cook on low for 7 hours 🙂
Ground Turkey, Veggies & Pasta Sauce (over zucchini noodles)
- ~1 lb ground turkey
- chopped onion
- chopped peppers
- chopped mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ~2 cups pasta sauce (garlic & onion flavor)
- garlic powder
1. Heat oil, saute veggies in pan
2. Add pasta sauce & ground turkey, stir and continue to heat
3. Store in fridge to heat and put over zucchini noodles
Ground Turkey, Quinoa & Veggies
- Chopped peppers
- Chopped onions
- Chopped mushrooms
- Taco seasoning
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- Ground turkey
1. Heat oil, saute veggies in pan
2. Add quinoa, taco seasoning, salsa & ground turkey.
3. Mix, heat and enjoy!
Do you have any go-to meal prep recipes?! Please share below 🙂